Thursday, January 21, 2010

Don't condemn every motorcyclist
Posted: 12/27/2009 01:00:00 AM EST

Editor:

In your [Dec. 20] letters section, "Nothing Christian about tormenting with noise," I can't believe that any sane person would make the generalization that all motorcycles are Harleys and therefore must be loud and obnoxious and if you ride a motorcycle it must be loud and obnoxious so you can't be a Christian.

I will agree with the writer that many riders are disrespectful especially when riding in populated areas, and further agree that some motorcycles use straight pipes or competition-only pipes, which are illegal. But you can't condemn every motorcycle because some are loud.

Furthermore, you can't say I'm not a Christian because some motorcycles are loud. Where does that logic come from? I have several cars each year that pull out in front of my Honda Gold Wing, which by the way is probably quieter than the writer's car. So by the writer's logic all car drivers pull out in front of motorcycles and therefore cannot do anything good for our society.

I know many Christian bikers who have loud bikes and I know many that have quiet ones. It is a preference that I believe is still constitutional. There are noise laws in the books, and Congress as well as the motorcycling community are working together to further resolve the issue. Just last year they came up with the SAE (J2825) testing procedure to insure uniformity in testing.

I'm not sure whether the writer was anti-Christian or anti-motorcycle, but the Christian bikers I
Advertisement
Quantcast
know don't brag about being sinless. The whole point is that biker or not, we have all lied at some point in our life or taken something that didn't belong to us. That makes us all sinners. What we try to do by going out is to show them the way to forgiveness.

John Crawford

E

No comments: